Treatment Options for Acne Scarring
posted: Jun. 05, 2023.
Acne is a common problem, and it’s a problem that may continue with acne scarring. If you have acne scarring, you will be happy to know that your dermatologist can help minimize the appearance of acne scars, so you can enjoy clear skin.
What You Need To Know About Acne Scarring
When acne clears up, it can leave behind ugly scars. Acne scarring is especially common if you pop or pick your acne blemishes. Remember these important tips to help prevent acne scarring:
- Don’t pop or pick at your acne blemishes
- Seek early treatment from your dermatologist when you have acne
- Don't wait for acne to resolve on its own
Some of the treatment options your dermatologist may recommend for acne include:
- Benzoyl peroxide products to unblock clogged pores
- Tretinoin products for severe cystic acne
- Laser therapy to kill underlying bacteria causing acne
- Antibiotics to kill bacteria causing an infection in your pores
If you have acne scarring, your dermatologist offers several treatment options to help minimize the appearance of acne scars, including:
- Laser therapy using pulsed dye or ablative fractional resurfacing, to fade away acne scars
- Chemical peels, to slough layers of skin, diminishing the appearance of scars
- SkinPen treatment to promote collagen production and resurface skin
- Cross chemical remodeling to remodel tissue and decrease the appearance of scars
- Subcision, to release tissue attaching the scars to deeper tissue layers
- Microdermabrasion, to gently remove surface skin and reduce the appearance of scarring
Remember that you can do a lot to avoid acne breakouts. It’s important to:
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins
- Exercise regularly to sweat out impurities
- Avoid greasy foods and other foods which you are sensitive to
- Always use non-comedogenic makeup products that won’t clog your pores
- Clean your face at least twice daily and never go to bed with an unwashed face
- Clean and disinfect your cell phone regularly
Want To Know More?
To find out more about treatments for acne, acne scarring, and other dermatology services, talk with your dermatologist today.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.