Several different types of laser surgery procedures are available for treating a wide range of cosmetic concerns. For example, laser surgery can be used to treat acne scars, reduce wrinkles, and remove unwanted hair. A dermatologist can recommend which the right laser surgery procedures for addressing your specific concerns. Dr. Patricia McCormack is your dermatologist for laser surgery in Point Pleasant Beach, Linden, NJ, or Staten
Laser Surgery Procedures
Laser surgery can address a variety of aesthetic concerns. Procedures are available for treating acne scars, pigmented lesions or sun spots, stretch marks, wrinkles, rosacea, and vascular birthmarks. Laser surgery can also be used for the removal of both tattoos and unwanted hair. In many cases, several laser treatment sessions are needed to achieve the desired results. Your Staten Island dermatologist for laser surgery can help you decide whether or not a specific laser surgery procedure is right for you.
The different types of laser surgery include:
- Acne scars — Light from the laser repairs scar tissues and stimulates the production of new skin cells. Acne scars eventually fade away as new skin cells form and replace scarred tissue.
- Pigmented lesions — Light destroys the cells that produce melanin causing pigmented areas, such as sun or age spots, to eventually fade.
- Stretch marks — Light beams minimize the appearance of stretch marks by stimulating collagen production and removing the outer layer of skin to expose smoother skin underneath.
- Wrinkles — Laser light smooths out wrinkles by removing the outer layer of skin to reveal smoother skin underneath, and also stimulates collagen production.
- Rosacea — The heat from the laser light beam collapses the blood vessels responsible for the redness caused by rosacea.
- Vascular birthmarks — Laser light targets the blood vessels that form the birthmark. As the light collapses the blood vessels, the birthmark fades away.
- Hair removal — Light damages hair follicles and stalls new hair growth, eliminating unwanted hair.
- Tattoo removal —High-intensity light beams break up the pigments of the tattoo, causing the colors to fade.
There are many laser surgery procedures for improving the appearance of skin affected by acne scars, wrinkles, stretch marks, or other concerns. A dermatologist can recommend the right procedure(s) for addressing your concerns and helping you achieve your desired results. For laser surgery in Staten Island, NY, schedule an appointment with Dr. McCormack by calling (718) 698-1616. Appointments are also available in Linden by calling (908) 925-8877 or Point Pleasant Beach by calling (732) 295-1331.